Pages

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Aliens vs Zombies: 'The Host' and 'Warm Bodies'

I watched a couple of movies last night for the fun of it and noticed some similarities and other little things that I thought would make for a good blog post. Since reading the Twilight Saga by Stephanie Meyer, I've always meant to read her book The Host, which I've been told is much better. It's on my to-do list, but last night I found myself watching the newly released film adaption. There were several points where I sat there thinking, I'll bet this scene was SO much better in the book. Nonetheless, I really enjoyed it! Afterwards, I decided I wasn't sleepy enough for bed, so I watched Warm Bodies too.

I'll warn readers now that this post may contain spoilers.

Overall, there are no HUGE similarities, but aside from both being post-apocalyptic, I couldn't help thinking that there was an underlying theme that they shared: the acceptance and co-existence of species that are different and formerly considered enemies and the ability for the 'bad' species to change and become good.

In The Host, this was shown through the alien Soul Wanderer's (Wanda's) ability to empathise with her human host, Melanie Stryder, who was still trapped and alive inside her body. Wanda was able to see Melanie's memories and hear her voice inside her head, sometimes letting Melanie control their shared body. Melanie was able to convince Wanda to go to the other humans who are in hiding, where they are reunited with Melanie's brother and lover. While at first the majority of humans were not accepting of Melanie's body acting as Wanda's host and they did not believe that Melanie was still alive and trapped inside, some of the other humans realise that Wanda was empathetic of what her species was doing to them and begin to love Wanda and Melanie simultaneously. Eventually, Wanda agreed to free Melanie's body although she believed she would die. But the humans had learned to love Wanda too and found a way to preserve her in another human body that had already otherwise died, meaning that both Wanda and Melanie had their own bodies and Wanda could live with the humans. (Also, Jarad and Ian could both be with the women they loved without the awkwardness of them sharing the same body.)

In Warm Bodies, the theme is shown through the zombie R's ability to save a human girl, Julie, from the pack he was hunting with and try to keep her safe. Although he ate her boyfriend's brain, Julie eventually forgave him and even missed him when she returned to the other uninfected humans her father had built a wall to protect. When R showed up inside the walls, wanting to prove to her that he loved her, Julie was amazing to see that he and the other zombies were coming back to life because of whatever she'd triggered inside him. Julie's father took some convincing, but when he realised that R could bleed (zombies can't bleed), he told the other humans that there'd been a change in circumstances and welcomed R and the other zombies-coming-back-to-life into the city. They ended up working together to kill the skeletons who were trying to kill them all, which was apparently a good bonding activity.

I thought this similarity was cool. But that might just be me.

While I'm talking about Warm Bodies, I had the biggest WAIT A MINUTE moment when Julie realised that R was in the city. She was sitting on her balcony and he called up to her. And later they ended up in a pool together. R and Julie. Romeo and Juliet. Did anybody else notice this?! I thought it was clever! Ha ha :)

I've also just found out that Warm Bodies is a book, written by Isaac Marion. I must had this to my to-read list.

Who else has seen 'The Host' and 'Warm Bodies'? What is your opinion on the books, if you've read them? Do you prefer aliens or zombies? And would you rather a zombie apocalypse or an alien invasion of planet earth and your body? 

- Bonnee.

17 comments:

  1. It's far too much to ponder for a Sunday morning--I haven't even finished my first cup of coffee yet.

    Seriously, I haven't seen or read either; I've been tempted by The Host, partly because of the idea, but more because I'm curious about Meyer's growth as a writer. Of Warm Bodies, my daughter said, "It's much better than I thought."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only just recently started drinking coffee, and it's because of the taste, not for the wake-up purpose... But get some in you!

      My mum and I would have to agree with your daughter. My initial reaction to the idea of Warm Bodies was THAT SOUNDS SO LAME, but we watched it and we were actually impressed. Go in with low expectations and you'll end up enjoying it!

      Delete
    2. Heh heh, before you know it, you'll be needing that coffee to wake you up.....

      'Low expectations' is how I'm aiming to build my writing career!

      Delete
    3. I suppose you ARE the Doubting Writer... haha :)

      Delete
  2. Haven't seen either. Both the book and movie version of Warm Bodies has received praise, so I'm curious enough I want to check out the film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea it was a book, so I'm very inclined to read it now! Check out the film, it's great!

      Delete
  3. AnonymousJuly 08, 2013

    Saw WARM BODIES last week, thought it was great. I heard the book is...different. Will rent THE HOST, fo sho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose a lot of books are different from their movie adaptions. I'm always interested to see the comparison.

      Delete
  4. Didn't see the movies but read the first pages from both novels. Both have interesting concepts. You can check for the author of WARM BODIES at www.isaacmarion.com I prefer Aliens to Zombies because Aliens probably exist, while Zombies do not. Nice observation by you about R and Julie being Romeo and Juliette.
    And just last night I watched on TV (probably for the 5-6 times) one of my favourite movies MURIEL'S WEDDING (1994) from Australia. Funny and touching. Sadly, I can't create emotions like this in my novels. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I have a preference between aliens and zombies so to speak... It completely depends on how they're done, for me.
      Muriel's Wedding is as old as me, haha, I keep meaning to watch it! Have you ever watched The Castle (1997)? I don't know how it compares to Muriel's Wedding but it's a good Australian film and it's so funny! I think if you keep trying, you could pull off whatever you want in your novels. Thanks for stopping by, Giora :D

      Delete
  5. I've read and seen the Host, but I've only heard about Warm Bodies. Of course the book was better than the movie. I feel like they miscast the lead, lol. I'd like to read Warm Bodies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no doubt that there would be a significant difference between book and movie versions of The Host. I haven't read it though, so I can't make the comparison for myself.

      Delete
  6. I've started to read The Host, and have yet to read Warm Bodies. I look forward to reading and watching the movies of both of these stories.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Have your say.