Pages

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Taking Advantage of Holidays and Opportunities

So I finished all of my assignments before they were due, handed them in and went camping with some friends from my hometown to celebrate the end of my first uni semester over the weekend. It was great!

Over the next five weeks, I hope to do a lot of writing and a lot of reading. My main goals are to redraft 'KATHERINE' and write some more on 'WALLS'. My WIPs are feeling rather neglected, I fear... And my brain is itching wish ideas for short stories and flash fiction too. I need to let loose on my keyboard and a few Word documents! 

But before I get too creative for my own pleasures, I have one more 'assignment' to complete. One of the Professional and Creative Writing lecturers at my university has organised a reading at a pub in the city and posted a message inviting students in the course to sign up. Positions were granted on a first-in basis and we also had to indicate the tone of our piece. I have been granted a spot in the reading and have two minutes to read something of a 'light/cheerful' tone. Safe to say, I am very excited. 

Now I need to write something that goes for two minutes when read out loud and has a 'light/cheerful' tone. In hindsight, I should have opted for the 'dark/serious' tone instead, as that's all I've been able to come up with. But that's okay. I'll think of something cheerful soon enough, now that season 3 of Game of Thrones has finished airing and can't infect my brain anymore. I have two weeks to come up with something and I'm going to do the best I can. Wish me luck! 

Anyone else been presented with some great opportunities as of late? 

- Bonnee. 

16 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing semester 1, and enjoy your break. It's good you've got those creative juices flowing, I hope you have time to get a lot done. Writing for yourself is a lot nicer than writing for an assignment.

    I have to say, I admire your willingness to put yourself out there like this. I don't know if I could have handled something like that when I was your age (I could barely handle it now, hah ha!). Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm absolutely terrified haha :) But I figured it's better to act sooner rather than later.

      Delete
    2. Good plan!

      I remember once having someone read one of my stories out loud for the class for me because I just couldn't bear to do it myself (I was 10 at the time). I sat in the class the whole time with my head down. I'm a lot better about it now.

      Delete
    3. I've definitely been like that before!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on a fantastic first semester! Enjoy your well-deserved break, and good luck with the pub reading ... how exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have no idea what to write, you might wish to look in the library at "Chicken Soup for Teenage Souls". They have 3 parts and many short stories with inspiration, i.e. cheerful. The best Literary Agency in Australia, Curtis Brown, has one agent in Melbourne. I asked them if their Melbourne agent hires an intern (will be a great experience for you). They responded quickly that the agent in Melbourne doesn't hire, but the Sydney office does hire interns with the help of universities. If you have too much vacation time, you might wish to contact them. I can give you the woman who responded to me. Best wishes,as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard so much about the "Chicken Soup" books, I've always meant to read them! Thanks for looking into that, but I don't think my break is long enough for me to get an internship, as exciting as getting that sort of experience and moving to Sydney would be... I've only been there three times, and each time has only been inside the airport between flights. Thanks for stopping by as always Giora :)

      Delete
  4. Bonnee, I don't know how it is in Australia, but in North America Literary Agencies hire interns to read submissions, and the interns work from home. For example, look at this agency
    www.jennybent.blogspot.com
    By the way, they don't pay for the interns, but it's great for experience and also to make contacts. Some interns eventually end up working for the Agency after finishing school. Maybe something to explore in your last year in University.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that so? Hmm :) I think that's something I should look into at the end of the year for sure. That would be great work, even if it isn't paid. Thanks for the suggestion!

      I know for a fact that I can opt for an internship through the university in my third year, and I do intend to. It would be in place of an on-campus subject. So if I don't get something before then, I'll definitely have that opportunity.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on your first semester completion! Good luck with your frenzied writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing frenzies make me feel so productive... aside from the fact that I end up sitting in front of a computer all day. Thanks :)

      Delete
  6. AnonymousJune 17, 2013

    You could always write something dark but read it cheerily -- that would surely get everybody's attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's actually a really smart idea. Ha ha it would certainly provide a little bit of contrast. I've written the piece I want now, but thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to keep it in mind for next time.

      Delete
  7. AnonymousJune 21, 2013

    Wow, sounds pretty great!!! Have fun getting inspired for your two minute project! Hope you had fun camping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Camping was great and I'm hoping I was inspired enough for later this week. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete

Have your say.